India has filed an appeal against the death sentence awarded to eight former Indian Navy personnel by a Qatar court last month. External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi has said in this matter that the Indian Embassy in Doha was once again granted diplomatic access to the captive Indians on Tuesday and India will continue to provide them all legal and diplomatic assistance. Let us tell you, on October 26, the Court of First Instance of Qatar had sentenced eight former Indian Navy personnel to death.
India filed an appeal – Arindam Bagchi
On the death sentence given to 8 Indians in Qatar, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi has said that an appeal has already been filed. He said that we are in touch with Qatari authorities in this matter. On November 7, our Embassy in Doha received another consular access to the detained individuals. Bagchi said that we are also in touch with his family members. We will continue to provide all legal assistance and consular support. During this, he appealed that in view of the sensitive nature of this matter, do not resort to any kind of speculation.
The allegations have not been made public
It is noteworthy that India has termed the decision of Qatar government as shocking. Also said that all legal options will be considered in the matter. While talking to the media, Bagchi said that the Government of India is very serious regarding this matter and an appeal has already been filed. He said that the Government of India is exploring all legal options in this matter.
what is the whole matter
Let us tell you, eight Indian citizens working with private company Al Dahra were arrested in August last year in an alleged espionage case. However, neither the Government of Qatar nor the Government of India has made public the allegations against these officials. Charges were filed against all on March 25. Also, a case was registered under the law of Qatar and trial was conducted.
Courtesy: Language Input